July 31, 2014
Drive to Barum and take the road ferry to Ivön.
Ivö church was built during Archbishop Andreas Sunesson in the 1220s when the
he lived on the island. The tower was added in the 1800s.
Outside the church stands a mountain ash filled with berries.
The altar is in two parts from various altarpieces, the crucifixion is
1820's and Holy Communion from the 1726th
At the altar is 1300-century frescoes.
To the right Saint Ursula and left Saint Catherine.
The baptismal font is contemporary with the church.
The pulpit is recent, 1920s.
In the cemetery wall at the gate is a stone plate with Carl Johan's monogram
and the year 1820. Carl XIV, who was king when the tower was built, was he here?
Outside the church wall in the north-east is a holy well, named after the church
patron, saint Ursula's well.
According to a legend, let Andreas Sunesson a servant to fetch water from the well a
Christmas Eve. When he came back, the water was turned into wine.
Today the well is without water and therefore no wine.
At the bottom glimmers a few coins.
Ursula was a British daughter of a king who made a
pilgrimage to Rome with a retinue of 11,000 virgins.
On the way home, they were all killed by the Huns then
Ursula refused to be the bride of the Hun's prince.
The well is restuarerad, last time in 1989 when it got its present appearance.